For the VCL Modular 101 course we got the assignment to record some minutes of music with our modular gear and publish it own Soundcloud or alike. WOW !
After 4 weeks of testing I bought a license for Softube Modular with the additional module emulations from Intellijel.
It helps me quite a bit learning and getting my head around patching, sound generation / wave shaping / subtractive / additive synthesis etc. without investing a hell a lot of money from the start.
Via the 4×2 aux outputs of the Modular CV/Gate or audio signals can be sent to the analog gear. Lots of fun !
- I got access to presets only in Logic Proc X, not in Ableton Live or Bitwig.
- Adding, Moving modules is just horrible and breaks any convenient workflow
- Handling of connections is counterintuitive too
- A few presets sound just „ugly”
4×2 Aux output for sending CV/Gate to analog gear but no inputs ?
Current state of my little crazy setup
- Make Noise tELHARMONIC
Just love it !
- Make Noise STO
Nice analog VCO
- Intellijel Dual ADSR
- SM043 KOTELNIKOV
waiting for a full DIY kit.
- TipTop Audio BD808
Sound of a heart beat
- Doepfer A-115 Divider
- Doepfer A-160 Clock/Trigger Divider
- Doepfer A-132-2 Quad VCA
- Doepfer A-138U Micro Mixer
- Doepfer A-119 Ext.Input / Envelope Follower
I can feed external audio from DAW’s, iPad etc into the modular system / Moog Mother-32
- Doepfer A-119-3 USB/MIDI-to-CV/Gate Interface
Connecting iPad/iPhone via Camera Kit and apps can send MIDI
- Intellijel Passive Mult 2 x 4
- PulpLogic Exit Strategy
Audio out for recording in DAW etc
- TipTop Audio uZeus Micro Power supply
I started this local Meetup Group for all things modular just for fun and meet other “Modulars”.
I stumbled over VoltageControlLab and the offered courses on modular synth.
Looking forward to first class next Saturday !
The “Modular Fever” really got me.
Next I will try some DIY kits. Lucky I did quite a bit of soldering, building various projects, in my youth. Just need to build a workplace with all the necessary stuff.
I managed to to send CV / Gate signals to the Moog Mother-32 from
- Reaktor 6
- Expert Sleepers Silent Way
- Apps on an iPhone
This is amazing !